Wednesday 23 April 2014

"Gloomy Sunday"- Cursed Song That Killed More Than 100 People


Gloomy Sunday is a hit song written in 1933 by Hungarian composer Rezső Seress. It's commonly known as the "Hungarian Suicide Song" because more than hundreds of  people committed suicides for no reason after listening to the song. There's something with the lyrics, melody and in some versions, voice of the singer that drive a sad person towards suicide.

Rezső Seress
The song originally wrote by Rezső Seress to woo his girlfriend, who had recently left him. The song succeeded in bringing them back together for a short time, before she jumped from his apartment window. In January 1968, 35 years after writing the song, Rezső Seress also committed suicide. He jumped out of a window in Budapest, but survived.However, later in the hospital he choked himself to death with a wire.

10 Famous Cases People Committed Suicide After listening to it

  1. A teenage girl in Vienna were found drowned herself while holding onto a piece of sheet music .
  2. In New York, a young secretary gassed herself while listening to Gloomy Sunday, and in a suicide note she requested Gloomy Sunday to be played at her funeral.
  3. A New Yorker, aged 82, jumped to his death from the window of his seventh-story apartment after playing the song on his piano.
  4. One man reportedly walked into a nightclub, asked a band to play Gloomy Sunday, then took out a gun and blew his brains out.
  5. In Budapest, a  person saw a shopkeeper commit suicide leaving behind a note that quoted lyrics of the Gloomy Sunday.
  6. A young errand boy in Rome, Italy, who allegedly passed by a beggar who was humming the tune.He parked his cycle, gave the beggar all of his money and the n jumped to his death from a nearby bridge.
  7. In Danube, several bodies were found dead with their hands clutching the song's sheet music.
  8. A man in Berlin shot himself after telling relatives he couldn't get that damn song out of his head.
  9. A young shopkeeper was found hanging from a rope in her apartment. Beneath her feet lay a copy of Gloomy Sunday
  10. Two people shot themselves while listening to a gypsy band playing the song.

Gloomy Sunday was banned from the playlists of major radio broadcasters around the world. The song was also banned on the BBC until 2001, and according to some reports, certain outlets in the US refused to play the song, fearing it was somehow responsible for these suicide.

Over the years, the song has been recorded by a number of artists, including Billie Holiday, Ray Charles, Elvis Costello, Sarah Mclachlan, Sarah Brightman, Heather Nova and Desmond Carter.

Gloomy Sunday by Rezső Seress (original)

Gloomy Sunday by Desmond Carter

GLOOMY SUNDAY : BY DESMOND CARTER

Sadly one Sunday I waited and waited
With flowers in my arms for the dream I'd created
I waited 'til dreams, like my heart, were all broken
The flowers were all dead and the words were unspoken
The grief that I knew was beyond all consoling
The beat of my heart was a bell that was tolling

Saddest of Sundays

Then came a Sunday when you came to find me
They bore me to church and I left you behind me
My eyes could not see one I wanted to love me
The earth and the flowers are forever above me
The bell tolled for me and the wind whispered, "Never!"
But you I have loved and I bless you forever

No comments:

Post a Comment